Thursday, November 10, 2005

A Saturday Stroll at the Summer Palace


Last Saturday, I took the afternoon to visit the renowned Summer Palace. Throughout history the splendor of this architectural masterpiece has been enjoyed by quite a diverse group. The history of the palace goes all the way back to the Mongol Emperor Kublai Khan, who ordered the construction of canals to add water to what is now the Summer Palace’s Kunming Lake. Later on, it was the residence of the Empress Dowager Cixi of the Qing Dynasty. During the Republic of China’s time in Beijing, after the last emperor was dethroned, the Summer Palace was turned into a park, and people were free to visit and enjoy its beauty. Now, Chinese and foreigners from all over the world come to Beijing and enjoy this treasure of Chinese cultural heritage.

Unfortunately, the day I visited was very cloudy, and the pollution was thick in the air. So, I was not able to see the splendor of the palace in full array. However, I quite enjoyed my walk, took some good pictures, and had a really nice time of relaxation and reflection as I hiked up and down the hills, strolled along the paths, and took in the beautiful surroundings.

Tomorrow, November 11, I will go to the Chinese Nationalities Park, which introduces Chinese and foreign visitors alike to the 56 different ethnic minorities represented in China. Hopefully, I will have some time this weekend to post some reflections and pictures from this field trip.