Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Weekend in Tianjin


This past weekend was really interesting, as I was able to go to Tianjin to visit some friends, an older Chinese couple. They were very hospitable and warm in welcoming me to their city and into their home. It was a really good opportunity for me to practice my Chinese all weekend, since they do not speak English. They made delicious food and showed me around the city. One of the most interesting activities was exploring this old church building which is in the process of being torn down. It's a shame to see such a beautiful structure being demolished, but I'm glad I had the chance to see and explore it before it is leveled. Tianjin used to be where most of the foreign embassies, consulates, banks, and other organizations were located, as the emperor did not allow them in Beijing. This next weekend, I plan to go to Taiyuan, in the Shanxi province, and visit some other friends. I hope to post on that trip when I get back next week.