Monday, September 19, 2005

Learning About Subways and Starting Classes

This past Saturday and Sunday were good days. On Saturday, I was able to visit with an English teaching friend of mine about teaching ideas and resources, and she was able to help me figure out some of Beijing’s transportation, since she has more experience in that area. Also, I was able to play “tour guide” for the first time in my new life in Beijing, as I showed her where the Red Lantern House is located, so she could get some information about it for some of her family and friends. I really recommend anyone to stay there if they come through Beijing, as it is such a quaint little place with traditional Chinese architecture and artistic expression.

On Sunday, I continued in learning about one of the mass transportation systems here in Beijing. The subway system here in Beijing is really convenient, and I will not have to use the buses as much as I thought. There is a “Number 13” elevated rail station at Wu Dao Kou, which connects with the Beijing subway a few stops away, just down the street from my university. So, I was very excited to figure this out, and I will now use it frequently. (There is also a great little stand by the station that sells delicious Beijing style egg and green onion breakfast crepes. I forgot the Chinese name of it already. You know how that goes, “In one ear and out the other.” Language learning is quite a challenge.)

Speaking of language acquisition, I begin classes tomorrow morning at 8:00am. Excitement and uncertainty rush through my veins as I anticipate the variety of assignments and hours of character memorization ahead of me. I know it seems crazy that I am actually starting formal studies again, especially after I just graduated from college this spring, but I am excited to continue learning. Besides, this seems different to me; this doesn’t seem to have all the pressure and intensity of college studies. Since I arrived in Beijing a couple of weeks ago, I have done some language study, but this will really give me a framework in which to study characters and a practical grasp of Chinese.

That structure is one I have really been looking forward to in my studies. For the past 3 years, I have been studying Chinese in my spare time and have had help from various Chinese friends and informal teachers along the way. Today, I saw that those past 3 years of study have paid off. I am in “Level B” of the Chinese courses here, which puts me beyond basic pronunciation lessons and shows that I have some knowledge of characters and some basic conversational and grammatical skills. So, I am happy to know that I have learned more than simple “Chinese survival skills” in the past 3 years, but I am also uncertain about whether or not I am prepared for the challenge of these classes. Tomorrow, I will find out, as the classes, which I have been looking forward to for the past few years, shall begin at last.