Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A Birthday on Holiday

This past weekend, a Chinese friend of mine who I met in the US, came to visit me here in Beijing. Since Saturday was my 23rd birthday, that was really cool. It is interesting also to note that October 1st is China’s National Day, called “Guo Qing Jie.” So, that made my birthday all the more special this year, as I begin my new life in China.

My friend and I were able to visit the Great Wall of China, at Ba Da Ling, and the Forbidden City. It was really fun, and I am in awe at seeing the Great Wall extend endlessly into the horizon. The Forbidden City (also known as the Imperial Palace or the Palace Museum) is a very intriguing site, as you walk through the halls and imagine the palace in a flurry of daily activities and the regality of the imperial age. Since it was the National Day holiday break, Beijing was especially crowded with tourists from all over China. It was really nice to see Tiananmen Square all decorated for the celebration, and the picture of Dr. Sun YatSen, the “Father of the Nation,” in the middle of the square was quite an impressive centerpiece. The 3 subway stops closest to Tiananmen Square are closed for the holiday, in an attempt to help with the congestion of the millions of people converging on the city. Therefore, the buses are quite loaded with people, especially in the area immediately surrounding the city center.

As long as I’m a student or teacher in China, I will always have a nice break for my birthday, with the annual “Guo Qing Jie” celebration. It has been really nice having a week-long break from classes, and now that my friend has returned to Guangzhou and since I have a test on Saturday, I will need to buckle-down and study, study, study.