Friday, August 19, 2005

Time Travel - Episode 4

July 14, 2005
As you can see above in this candid photo, I am learning to eat in the Burmese style, as one of my ethnically Chinese friends from Myanmar so graciously welcomed me and some other friends into her home for some delicious Burmese food. The people of Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, traditionally eat with their fingers, which I found to be quite enjoyable and actually very practical as well, as it means fewer dishes to wash! You can also see that I have a shirt displaying the Burmese alphabet, which was a gift from this Burmese friend. It has been fun learning about various cultures here in Hong Kong, as I have met people from England, Myanmar, Colombia, and the Philippines. As I travel to different parts of the world, I continue to learn that it is much smaller and more interconnected than I ever imagined. What opportunities we have for education, cultural exchange, and friendships! Let’s take advantage of those opportunities and learn from others!