Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Bangkok, Thailand – Destination #12

Since I was previously planning to go to Thailand, I had already purchased my plane ticket from Bangkok to Macau. However, because I needed to cancel my plans and since I could only change the date for my ticket (not the destination as I had hoped), I decided that I may as well see a few of the major sights in Bangkok for a day. So, I did just that! Bangkok is quite a city!
His Majesty Bhumibol Adulyadej is the longest-reigning king in Thai history. The Grand Palace, which is the former royal residence, is a must see, even if you’re only stopping through Thailand for a day!
The Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew) is in the greater palace complex. The people of Thailand say, “to be Thai, is to be Buddhist.” About 95% of the population practice Buddhism.
Taking a boat up and down the river (Mae Nam Chao Phraya), which is used as a transportation route for everyday life and also for sightseeing tourists, was fun and also quite insightful into local Thai culture. It was very relaxing, as I even dozed off for a brief nap!