Monday, July 17, 2006

The Journey to Asia Begins...

Yesterday, well, kind of "yesterday" (Saturday evening), after saying goodbye to my family, I flew out from Kansas City. That flight went to Los Angeles, where I connected to my other flight going to Taipei, Taiwan. That flight was about 12hrs long, and it was great! I had an aisle seat (which I NEVER get!), and the seat next to me was empty! So, I was able to stretch out and sleep for most of the flight! Whew, I really needed that rest, especially after staying awake for over 24hrs packing the previous days!

Early this Monday morning, around 5:00am, (yes, Sunday never really existed on my calendar, because of the time zone adjustment in traveling) my plane arrived in Taipei. After going through customs, getting my luggage, and changing my money from US$ to New Taiwan dollars, I went through the exit and looked for my friend's brother, who was picking me up. He helped me to the parking garage and took me to my hosts' apartment across the city. We'll probably hang out sometime when he's not working.

It is good to be with my hosts as well. We graduated from the same college in Missouri, and it is neat to see what they are doing here. I'll visit their Chinese class this afternoon, and it will be interesting to see how their classes are set up and how their teacher's style differs from mine in Beijing. I'm hoping to gain some insights so I am also better able to study Chinese on my own and in my classes.

This evening's plans are still uncertain. I'm hoping to hang out with my friend's brother. We'll see what happens.

You never know what will happen on one's journey to the wonderful areas of this vast place called Asia!