Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring Festival in the Country of Lu

Overcrowded trains during the Chinese New Year are standard fare for most Chinese returning home for this most important traditional holiday. Thankfully, I had a seat for the 9+ hour overnight train, but not everyone was so comfortable, as you can see from the aisles full of people who could only get a standing ticket. And, let me tell you, there were people standing everywhere! There was a guy standing between my legs and the legs of the guy across from me! There was another guy standing on my right! If I wanted to stretch my legs, I had to weave them through the legs of the people standing/sitting in front of me! You know that whole "Americans like their personal space" idea, well, yeah, you better much forget all about that! It wasn't what I would call a comfortable ride, but it could have been a lot worse. Some of the people still had several hours to stand as many of them were headed to the Shanghai and Hangzhou area further to the south.Once in the city of Taian, in the Shandong Province, the site of the famous and revered Mount Tai, I had a few hours to walk around the city while I waited for my friend to come and take me back to his hometown a couple of hours away by bus. Here is a scene from a street market. With meat prices so high throughout the year here in China, the Spring Festival is a time to splurge and get all the things the family likes to eat but don't usually get to the rest of the year.This guy made some of the most delicious salty green onion hotcakes (minus the egg) I've ever had in China! I bought one that day. Then, on my way back to Beijing, I had to get two more! Wow! I might just have to make a trip back there to satisfy a craving! Yum! My mouth is watering now!
The festive mood and decorations brought life to the streets as everyone was getting ready for the lunar new year. One of the traditions is to paste blessings written on red paper on the door posts of all the houses. Somewhat reminiscent of the Israelites putting the blood on their door posts in Exodus...